Educational credential assessment (ECA)

For immigration to Canada, getting a credential assessment is the starting point for every prospective immigrant. An educational credential assessment (ECA) is used to verify applicant’s foreign degree, diploma, or certificate (or other proof of academic credential) is valid and equal to a Canadian standard. There are different types of ECAs. It would be best if you got an ECA for immigration purposes. If you got another kind of ECA, you might be able to get it re-issued, depending on the type of ECA and/or issuing organization.

You must include your ECA report and the reference number in your Express Entry profile.

Your ECA report may help when you’re looking for a job. But it doesn’t guarantee that:

If you plan to work in a regulated job, you must get your license in the province or territory that you intend to settle in.

You need ECA if you completed your education outside Canada, you need an assessment to: 

  • be eligible as the principal applicant for Federal Skilled Workers Program (Express Entry), or 
  • earn points for education you completed outside Canada. 

You can also earn points for the spouse or common-law partner’s education if you come with you to Canada. You don’t need an assessment for a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate. 

To earn points, your report must show that your completed foreign credential (degree, diploma or certificate) is equal to a completed Canadian secondary school (high school) or post-secondary credential. 

Many times prospective immigrants are confused about which credential to get assessed. In most cases, you only need an assessment for your highest level of education. For example, if you have a Master’s degree, you only need an assessment for that degree. You don’t need one for your Bachelor’s degree. 

When to get an assessment for two or more credentials;

  • To get points for having two or more credentials, you need an assessment for each one.  
  • To get full points for more than one credential, at least 1 of the credentials must be for three or more years of study. 

Designated organizations: 

You must use one of these designated organizations: 

  • World Education Services: WES World Education Services
  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada 
  • Comparative Education Service- University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
Scroll to Top